Monday 28 March 2011

The Creation

Here we are, blessed to be living under The Long White Cloud, where everything grows at double-fast lightening speed!  The desire to grow things under God's vast sky began as most things do - they simply happened, one step at a time. Until we look out over our little backyard and feel awe at the immenseness of the project which became our journey, our life, our direction.
Might we mention that S word..........sustainable living.  Sometimes, as I toil over a hot stove, making pots of relish or jam out of any number of abundant fruits and vegetables, I wonder about the wisdom of it all.  Then I ask the question, "Is this a blessing, or is this a curse?"  I mean, how many pottles of plum jam or marrow chutney can one small family of four really eat?  It's the curse of never wanting to waste any precious food, though my long-suffering husband will often patiently explain that I don't really need to start cooking a pot of feijoa jam up at 9.30pm in case they all go to waste - he kindly points out that they will end up in the compost and feed the food we are growing anyway.  But I cling doggedly, to my detriment, at my foolish pride - I can't waste anything we have grown - it would be a sin!
Foolish foolish pride, as I hear him sleeping peacefully upstairs, while I toil away, ladeling hot jam into equally hot jars!
Anyhow, this is now the life we lead.  Both of us work full time away from home, and then we "farm" our little piece of urban land with intensive edible landscaping that possibly feeds us 80% of our food intake.  It's a mammoth task but it is attainable.  The hardest part is the creation of the dream.  The rest is easy.  Just one step at a time, one seed at a time, one hole dug at a time...................

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jizzy

    Thought I'd be the first to post a comment. Love the way your garden grows, very inspiring, especially when I read you also do a 40 hour week. That is certainly a feat. And you have time to make videos for a Hitachi - what a feat, too!!! ;)

    Keep up the great life over there in NZ.

    Lots of love
    Laetitia

    ReplyDelete