Sunday 6 November 2011

The Cat, the Mouse and the Computer that got away.



Free Computer, comes with keyboard and mouse,
cat not included.
Getting rid of that old hunk of geriatric technology was more difficult than I thought!  We had this trusty old home computer for 15 years (several upgrades) and when I finally succumbed to owning a laptop this year, the decision was made - the computer must go!  This is the age of the Modern Family.  Mike has his work laptop, Cam has his laptop for university (I think he puts it to better use as an entertainment centre for games and watching DVD's), Shayni has a second hand (now slowly dying) laptop for online social networking (we originally thought it would be good for home-schooling! Ha!) and now I am the owner of a 4 month old laptop!  Yeeha!  Sometimes I laugh at the idiocy of it all - each member can be working separately on their laptops, at the same time!  So much for Family Time!
Anyway, I tried "giving" our old (cleaned up) computer to elderly neighbours who scoffed at the idea, young kid neighbours as a starting point - "nah, thanx!"  I even phoned a computer geek who takes computers apart and shows school kids how to put them back together............... apparently they are as prolific as the stars in the skies.  I rang Habitat for Homes which have just opened up a shop in Tauranga, taking old clothes, furniture and building materials to recycle for economically challenged families.  They too, apparently don't take computers as the families would then need technical assistance to use them and set them up - a service they can't provide!  I know that the bigger centres like Auckland,have computer and technology recycling depots but too far to drive (2 hours away).   I considered running an ad in the local newspaper with the above pic .................. then I noticed the Athenree Voluntary Fire Services were running a garage sale to raise funds.  I phoned the fella listed and he was most enthusiastic.  He seemed to think someone would take it for a few bucks!  So we dropped it off, and the garage sale proceeded that next day.  I wonder if they managed to sell it or give it away.................

I tried to think of alternate ways to recycle that old computer, and short of a door-stop, there was not much else I could come up with.  It's a real problem!

On the domestic side, we have been using up all our Lady's Fingers bananas which I harvested a few weeks ago - hung up in our warm garden shed to ripen.  They were frost-damaged with the Spring frosts, but most survived to  make a lovely nutritious snack or yummy eggless banana cake - I managed to make several loaves!  The banana plants are making a slow recovery and will soon be covered in wonderful tropical-feel green leaf fronds again...............now they still look war-torn and battle-weary!

Our tasty little frost-bitten home-grown bananas.

A smaller variety orange which is planted at our entrance, nearly
ready for harvesting, now that the other citrus is finished.

The last of our giant, sweet grapefruit which we love to juice in
the mornings.  The longer we leave them on the tree before
harvesting the sweeter they become!

Sadly, the last of our delightful elliptical garden treasures..... Liz
and Spence have been clucky for the last 3 weeks and prefer to sit
all day long in the nesting box.  Spence has only just "come out" again!

Our netted sunny strawberry patch which is providing daily treats.
Loosely adhering to the lunar calendar, I have planted out yet more tomatoes, basil, radishes, spring onions, pumpkins, beans, courgettes, corn (both black and sweet), artichokes (for next year's harvest), and sowed more veggie seeds, seeded more wildflowers to replace weed cover.  I think I overdid the gardening yesterday, moving the chook tractor, digging up two new pathways................ ended up in bed at 8pm last night!  Nearly got myself 12 hours of sleep!!  That's what I need to guard against - weekend gardening creates a sense of urgency to do everything on one or two days............... the body can take a beating if you succumb to the self-imposed pressure of getting it all done!

On a lighter note, I just thought to add these photos taken 2 weeks ago, at a restaurant in Rotorua,  called Abracadabra Cafe and Bar.  The owners also have an outlet store selling all the Morroccan delights at a veritable Aladin's cave of wonders, called The Souq!  When I enter the shop or restaurant, I enter the Dream State world, one where I feel I have arrived!  My kinda stuff!  We purchased a gorgeous little coffee side table for my birthday, to go with my Alibaba-type lantern my mother bought me when she came to NZ.

The glow from this lamp is an ethereal, out-of-this-world,
church-zone kinda light!

We have a simple little wall fountain, nowhere near
as exotic and aesthetically delightful as this one!

The portal to the loo..............you can almost hear the cicadas
and the breath of the camels as you walk through.......!
The saying, "Be the change you want to see in the world" has suddenly taken on new meaning for us!  Walking through one of our little "reserves" a couple of weeks ago, Mike and I commented on how sad the stream looked.  We thought it would be great if someone would come along and really love and care for it.  But who...............hey, why whine about what the council are failing to do, and why not jump in boots and all, and offer to do the job?  Crazy idea, but it might just work!
So I rang up the Environmental officer at the Western Bay of Plenty District Council, and he didn't laugh outright at my idea!  In fact, his curiosity was ignited, he wanted to come out and meet us to discuss our plans and to investigate more about the reserve.

Turns out, that the little reserve and stream is as yet, unnamed!  Or at least, the council are unaware of any name!  We discovered that the source is really an underground spring!  He thinks it would be fine for us to go ahead and care for it.  He thinks there could be financial support  in the form of grants.  It looks daunting, but we have the rest of our lives and only the first step to take, one step at a time.  If we can transform our backyard into an edible organic paradise, why not an extended area.......  The kindergarten I work at just may be interested in a restoration project like this. We can teach our children to really care for Papatuanuku (Mother Earth) and her waterways. Big project.  Little time.  But many hands make light work.  So watch this space.................. early days.


My daughter goes green for the cause.  The face of the Restoration Project!
Not really!   (Actually, she went to a fancy dress ball as Poison Ivy!)





No comments:

Post a Comment