Wednesday 15 January 2014

Local Eco-tourism (Tanner's Point)

I am not a walker.  No fitness geek.  Thank you, I'd rather take my car!  I see it as a trade off for all the "green" living habits we employ in and around our home.  So, during a lover's tiff, I decided to head off for the less-beaten track while my not-so-dearly-beloved of the moment headed off to the surf.  The tiff?  What shape shelving to install in the garden shed!  I kid you not!!  Back to my walk -where to?  Plenty of local tracks around where I live.  So, after nearly 9 years of living in Katikati, I decided to walk the Tanner's Point track.  So off I set, a newby to the world of physical exertion, I packed a backpack (insect repellent and sunblock - both home-made, home-dried feijoas to snack on, organic bananas from our backyard, a pullover, a map torn from the regional council backyard publication, sunnies and a hat).  Everything one would need for a 3-5 hour walk.  This one was half an hour.  At the last minute, I grabbed my camera to record my travels, lest anyone doubt my actual out-of-character accomplishment.

A little mermaid's pool.
Firstly, I had to slow down to check all the road markings on the State Highway, never really having taken note of where Tanner's Point Road was! As I headed out toward Waihi Beach, I began doubting whether or not I was headed in the right direction, until I came upon the sign post marking the road I was searching for.  I felt such a keen sense of adventure.  The day was a beaut, and I was Robinson Crusoe's wife.  Sunshine, clear skies and music on my new car stereo (stereo, not new car).

The picturesque little bay.
Quite literally and figuratively, the walk took my breath away.  I was enraptured by the beauty of the coastal walk, which was lined with natives and quite a few edibles too!  Gooseberries, figs, peaches, plums, olives, grapes and macadamias were all planted along the walkway.  Each season could bring another edible delight as you wander along.  I thrilled at the sun-glint on the water, dappled through the trees.  I passed one other local out walking his two dogs.  He told me that Tanner's Point had been a farm until it was subdivided in the 70's.  It's a great little coastal settlement.
5-star quality bay.

A jetty for disembarking boat passengers.  Boats moored in the shallows like sleeping ducks.

Sun-glint through the trees

The beautiful canopied walkway with huge pohutukawas anchoring the shoreline.

Massive tree trunk, a fairy-like wonderland.

Sitting ducks

Grapes ripening along the way

Could I be somewhere in Greece?

Sun-tinkles on the water

Simply Stunning!
  
A view of the Kaimais

I loved the sense of being a lone discoverer, just me and my camera.  I remembered my times as a student, armed with camera and backpack, on photographic soirees.  The only difference was then, I had to shoot off 36 photos, without a clue that I had captured the image correctly or if it was blurry and buggered.  I would wait patiently to collect my "film" of developed photos and could barely wait to tear open the envelope and view the evidence of visual successes or disappointing flops. Problem was, I still had to pay for the flops.  A costly hobby.   Now, I can view my pictures in an instant. The digital world really does have advantages!
Fig trees along the walkway

A peach tree guards the entrance to the shell-strewn beach

Crunching shady surface makes walking along the beach a noisy affair.

Beautiful shell formations - nature's art.

Shell Art


Rock pool

 Bali-esque rock pools on the beach

 I had myself such a wonderful time, walking along a nature track, just me and my camera, that I wondered if I should pick a fight with my dearly beloved, just so I can head off on my own again, sometime soon!  
Nah, just kidding.  I'll take him along next time, to carry the backpack.
Hairy trees line the beach

A carved seat on the beach

Waves lap onto the shelley beach

Autumnal colours of leaves washed up in neat lines along the beach

Mermaid's necklace seaweed

Fantasy playground for young and old

Pohutukawas reaching into the water

Matakana Island in the background

Discarded water toys lie in wait for their masters to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment