Wednesday 28 May 2014

RAW Organic Green

A camelia makes a great Lotus in our fountain!

Roar!  I have just learned how to make food that's basically Raw!  Now, while I am not entirely convinced to turn Vegan Raw Foodist, I have begun to enjoy the virgin taste of Raw Food.  It may be very, very healthy, but what appeals MOST to me, is that it's absolutely a taste explosion!!  And the only requirement is a blender, and perhaps, a dehydrator.  These recipes are from The Rawtarian.  And they just happen to be gluten free, dairy free, egg free and sugar free.  

So I have gathered up my favourite raw food recipes - ha!  I have only been experimenting with raw food for 2 weeks now, and the only ones I have so far tried, are already my favourites!!  Whip them up in a matter of minutes!

Peanut Cookies (not)
Peanut Cookies
1 cup almonds
1 cup dates
1/3 cup tahini (I used black tahini, hence dark colour)
2 1/2 Tbspn cacao nibs (in health shops)
1/8 tspn salt

Process almonds in blender till fine meal texture is achieved.  Add dates and process till well mixed, adding tahini till all is well distributed.  Transfer to large bowl, add cacao nibs and stir well.  Roll mixture into small mouthful-sized balls.  
What?  Where's the peanuts?  Well, there are none, yet these little delectable balls of goodness taste full of the nutty-peas!  Store what you don't immediately eat, in fridge.

What I love about this new food fetish is that it is so darned EASY!

How about these super tasting, healthy little nutty crackers:
Almonds and zucchini/choko blended
Raw Crackers
2 1/2 cups walnuts (I used half walnuts, half brazil nuts)
2 1/2 cups zucchini ( I used half zucchini, half choko)
1/2 cup flax seed ( I used LSC)
1/4 cup hemp seed (I used chia seeds)
1/2 tspn salt

Soak nuts in water for 2 hours, discard water and rinse.  Grind in blender till meal-like. Place in bowl while you blend the zucchini till finely chopped (not mushy).  Add the two ingredients and all others into the bowl, stirring till mixed.  Add enough water (1/2 to 1 cup water) to make a spreadable dough.  Spread this onto a dehydrator tray (mine has big open mesh, so I lined them with a layer of muslin cloth).  Dehydrate for 2 hours, then score to create an easy cracker-sized breaking point.  Dehydrate for a further 10 hours or until crunchy and cracker-like.  Break into pre-scored shapes and they are ready to serve.  They are truly delicious!  Try them with guacamole, olives, tomatoes and feta!! 
Good, Better, Best:  Home-made crackers, olives and pesto.

Raw Food Green Mayo
Now this one is my own made-up recipe:
I took about 2 cups of garden greens (rocket, mizuna, Herb Robert and one small leaf of Swiss Chard, a few stalks chives and parsley).  Blend, scraping the sides down till all scrunched.  Add about a quarter cup of tofu, juice of 1 small lime or lemon, 1-2 Tspn tahini, salt to taste and blitz the hell out of it all.  The end result - something that looks like green mayonnaise!!  Delicious on raw food crackers!!

Guava paste spread in dehydrator to make dried guava fruit strips.

And to top it all off:
Raw Food Dessert Cakes
(from PETA's Animal Times - no photo as we ate them too quickly)
1 1/2 cups walnuts
1 1/2 cups pecans
1 1/2 cups dates
1 1/2 cups raisins
6 Tbspn raw cocoa powder
2 tspn vanilla extract
Process first the nuts, then add remaining ingredients one at a time till each is well blended.
Press into muffin pans and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Raw Chocolate Frosting for the top:
2 avocados
1/2 cup agave nectar (I used Barley Syrup)
1 tspn vanilla extract
1 tspn lemon juice
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 cup raw cocoa powder
Blend all till a choc-latey paste is formed and put dollops onto each of the muffin pan bases.  Refrigerate and enjoy as and when a sweet treat is needed.  I actually halved this chocolate frosting as I only had 1 ripe avo to hand, and it was plentiful.

Tonight I whipped up a Date Slice (raw) in about 15 mins.  Great with our evening cuppa chicory.  The slice was a little fiddly (you have to press the base down!), so won't add that recipe just yet.  Need to learn how to toddle before taking on a marathon!  Click onto The Rawtarian and see how easy-peasy the meals are to make.  Go on, give it a try!

The daffodils are out - and it's just on Winter!!!
My pretty South African Princess

The beautiful protea.
Wow, thank you Rachel and Patrick, our two Helpxchangers who put me onto this little journey of raw food discovery.  Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment