Sunday 22 February 2015

Hand Made with Wood

Latest projects out of wood...... in my little downtime over the holidays.  There's nothing I love more (other than my hunky hubbie) than to be stuck in the garden shed, with my solar-powered radio blaring out some old hits.  And a mountain of off-cut wood pieces, my drill, saw, hammer, tape measure and nails!  And a good uninterrupted 3-4 hours stretching ahead of me!
My outdoor relaxation lounger - hand made, all but for the triangular Thai cushion.
The base is made from Ferrero Roche crates attached!  Sweet!  The mattresses started out their lives as nappy changing mats.  The covers once-were-curtains.  Perfect for spending a little reading time under the trees.

I have always wanted to attract wee fairy folk to the garden, so for the fairies, I made a little doorway into this old ponga tree stump.  It's pretend - does not really lead anywhere - but if they want to, they can excavate their own room!

Hinges were once a Red Bull drinking can (fossicked from the road-side), handles from small tree seed cones, door from off-cut pieces of cedar.  Methinks I shall make several more to erect around the garden, and town.

My dahling husband deemed I was worthy of a new car, since I gifted my old trustworthy Toyota Corona to my daughter, after her little Jellybean was relegated to the scrap-heap when a 17yr old boy rear-ended her and wrote it off!  5 months of walking to work in the rain, hail and sleet (doesn't really snow here, so that is a little exaggeration) was making my thunderous thighs slender, but my mood hugely dark and dangerous!  Hence, we now have this fine, sleek 2010 Honda Fit parked up in my carport.  She is sooo sexy, I fell in love with her as soon as the keys were placed in my hands.  Sooo much room, I could swing the cat around in it.  She's been named Jazz (European Honda equivalent). However, I digress.  I'm supposed to be writing about things wooden, which is why I introduced Jazz.  I wanted to make a wooden boot carrier for Jazz to avoid the usual messes and spills associated with car boot packages.

Measuring up the box in the shed.  The bottom is made from packing crate wood, the sides from off-cut cedar shutters.
The rustic wooden box with handles, oiled with coconut oil, fits perfectly in the boot of Jazz.  Now I can transport groceries, gardening supplies etc. and still protect my little Jazzy car boot.  Nothing to fall over and spill.
The case of the curious cat!  I said, Swing the cat, not Carry the cat, Shanti!!  The little fluffy feline finds it difficult to sleep on the curving front bonnet of Jazz, so scoots up and sleeps on the roof!  Am trying to discourage such destructive behaviour, for fear of Jazz being scratched to shreds!!  So far, training is slow and repetitive!  Might need to make a cat box to encourage her to sleep in..... My next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment